The Asia and Pacific Transgender Network (APTN) was launched in 2009, when a group of transgender women from various Asia and Pacific countries came together to champion the health, legal and social rights of trans women. In 2011, a trans man drew attention to the need to advocate for trans men and joined the APTN Board. Over the years, APTN has worked to build relationships with trans communities, organizations, governments, healthcare providers and other key stakeholders throughout the region. APTN’s reports and publications have helped guide social policy reform and human rights advances for trans people in many countries in Asia and the Pacific. Today, APTN is a leader in advocating for the rights of trans and gender diverse people throughout Asia and the Pacific.
APTN is seeking 2 Regional Steering Committee (RSC) members to join the organisation. Candidates must be from the Asia and Pacific region.
The RSC responsibility will be to represent the work of APTN and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by APTN’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED and guiding the projects based on APTN’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by APTN for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving APTN’s annual budget, audit reports, and material organisation decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and RSC Co-chairs in identifying and recruiting other RSC Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing APTN to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring APTN’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities APTN serves
- Support the ED in Fundraising, and assuring sufficient financial resources to carry out APTN’s strategic plan
- Attend at least 95% of all board and assigned committee meetings, including but not limited to; remote calls, physical meeting
- Takes on a proactive approach and be informed about APTN’s mission, policies, programs and strategic priorities
Regional Steering Committee terms/participation
The length of time for Regional Steering Committee Members to serve is three (3) years with an annual rotation of responsibilities of offices. After the end of the first 3-year term, the members will resign and new members will be selected. A member of the Regional Steering Committee can serve a maximum of two 3-year terms (6-years consecutively). Remote board meetings will be held quarterly and 1 in-person meeting annually. Please note that this position is unsalaried but that associated costs with travel and event participation representing APTN will be provided, as confirmed by APTN.
Please submit your CV, cover letter, and nomination form (online or via pdf form) RSC@weareaptn.org by September 15th, 2018. Shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Read more details by downloading the application.