The Asia Pacific Transgender Network (APTN) is a regional network that is working towards the advancement of trans rights in the Asia Pacific region through research and evidence generation, legal, policy and programmatic advocacy, and public campaigning. APTN office was legally established in 2009 and has been operating as a registered entity as a Thai Foundation in Bangkok, Thailand. APTN currently works with more than 15 partners in 12 countries in the region.
APTN is currently seeking to appoint TWO new members to our Regional Steering Committee (RSC). The RSC, together with our Thai Foundation Board, functions as APTN’s primary governance body. RSC members must be from the Asia Pacific region, but can be based anywhere else in the world.
16 November 202020 November (Extended)
The RSC responsibility will be to represent the work of APTN and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by APTN’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
● Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED and guiding the projects based on APTN’s strategic plan.
● Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by APTN for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
● Support the Thai Foundation Board in ensuring that fiduciary responsibilities and compliance are met.
● Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED.
● Assisting the ED and RSC Co-chairs in identifying and recruiting other RSC Members.
● Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
● Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
● Representing APTN to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization when assigned.
● Ensuring APTN’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities APTN serves..
● Support the ED in fundraising to carry out APTN’s strategic plan
● Attend at least 95% of all board and assigned committee meetings, including but not limited to; remote calls, physical meeting.
● Takes on a proactive approach and be informed about APTN’s mission, policies, programs and strategic priorities.
● Internationally recognised expertise in trans rights advocacy, with special reference to the Asia-Pacific region.
● Experience in advocating for the rights of trans communities in [a] location[s] of the Asia-Pacific region.
● Succinct understanding of the challenges facing trans people, especially Indigenous non-cisnormative peoples, and strategies for ensuring the fundamental rights and dignity of trans people in the region.
● Experience in national and international advocacy for trans rights, and for interrelated goals of gender justice, reproductive justice, and socioeconomic equality of peoples, with a special underlying emphasis
on SOGIESC issues.
● Proficiency in English, the link language that facilitates interactions across the region, as well as in one or more national languages of any country in the region.
● A strong commitment to policy development, planning and implementation in facilitating the rights of trans and gender-plural peoples.
● A strong commitment to South-South interactions, and locally-grounded approaches to trans rights as well as gender justice and human rights advocacy.
● An understanding of the importance of trans-inclusive intersectional feminist movement-building in the Asia-Pacific region.
● Experience in and commitment to working with people from a multitude of sociocultural backgrounds, nationalities, languages, work ethics, and approaches to gender justice advocacy.
Regional Steering Committee terms/participation
The length of time for Regional Steering Committee Members to serve is three (3) years with an annual rotation of responsibilities of offices. After the end of the first 3-year term, the members will resign and new members will be eselected. A member of the Regional Steering Committee can serve a maximum of two 3-year terms (6-yearso consecutively. Remote board meetings will be held on a monthly basis. Every December, the RSC Meetsc face-to-face Bangkok at the APTN Annual General Meeting and year-end activities. Please note that this is a governance, and therefore does NOT involve a regular remuneration. Costs associated with travel and event participation representing APTN will be provided, as confirmed by APTN.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and the compiled application form to RSC@weareaptn.org by 20 November 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.DOWNLOAD
Read more details by downloading the application.