ASEAN Advocacy Week (AAW) is composed of four days of synchronous discussions followed by a week of engagements with diplomatic and human rights bodies. Below is our rough program for AAW:
WEEK PRIOR: Virtual meeting with other selected AAW participants and submission of AAW homework.
DAY 1: Sessions on the country situations of participants
DAY 2: Sessions on ASEAN, human rights mechanisms and advocacy tools used in regional advocacy
DAY 3: Tactical skills workshop of doing advocacy—from writing statements, interventions and complaints to creating a public campaign
DAY 4: Participants will present their application of the skills they gained from the workshop
WEEK AFTER: This four-day program will be followed by a week of diplomatic briefings and meetings with human rights bodies where participants can implement what they learned from the sessions and workshops.
Please note that the above schedule is still subject to change.
Deadline: June 15
Target: ASC are only accepting a limited number of participants.
This year ASC is prioritizing Southeast Asian applicants who are:
1. Queer #activists with a minimum of 3 years experience in local, national or regional advocacy work
2. Broad knowledge about human rights framework, and in particular issues faced by LGBTIQ+ persons in one’s own country;
3. Ability to articulate #LGBTIQ human rights issues and recommendations using diverse platforms;
4. Basic knowledge about #ASEAN and its role in advancing human rights.
5. Interested in ASEAN and intersectional solidarity advocacy work. Representing local, national or regional organization/collective/group.
Read the Terms of Reference or register here: