TERMS OF REFERENCE:
Functional title: Communications Manager
Location: Remote (with possible relocation to Bangkok, Thailand)
Deadline for applications: 6 Aug 2021
Period: Sep 2021 to Sep 2022 (Fixed term contract)
Duration of contract: 12 months
Since it was founded in 2009, APTN has grown to become a credible platform and voice for transgender people in Asia and the Pacific, working to ensure that their needs and rights are respected and fulfilled politically, socially, culturally and economically. The network serves as a platform for transgender people to advocate for access to health, legal gender recognition, legislative reform, social justice and human rights and to exchange information and strategies with each other.
About the position
Under the broad guidance of the Executive Director, assumes primary responsibility for assessing and developing communication strategies that enhance APTN efforts to influence and bring about change in the awareness, attitudes, behaviors and policies to advance the rights of trans people.
The Communications Manager will lead the research and discovery process, consult with stakeholders to understand our unique audiences, facilitate discussions designed to develop comprehensive communication and advocacy strategies and ensure our brand and values are represented in all forms of communications. You’ll develop a communications framework to increase the engagement of our community, partners, supporters, and donors, by designing and executing thoughtful and inspiring experiences that connect them with their impact through a variety of strategic communication channels and tools.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, Programs team, Advocacy team to determine strategic communication and advocacy goals for reach and engagement through online and social media
- Develop and evaluate media plans for major communication projects and campaigns
- Develop the “Stakeholder and Community Outreach Plan” to increase APTN digital footprints, balancing sensitive content production with varied public audiences and outreach goals.
- Increase retention of our major donor supporters through envisioning and executing innovative new ways to engage with the audience, and show them their impact.
- Identify the proper and selective use of online and social media for audience development
Develop communications framework
- Guide and mentor national communications officers / focal points
- Develop terms of reference for key positions for the national communication team
Communication and Strategy:
- Assessment of APTN’s social media system and proposed new and emerging approaches to digital communications
- Develop a framework to evaluate effectiveness of APTN’s portfolio of website and social media platforms
- Develop a framework for deployment of online and social media tools for strategic and efficient planning and management
- With communication objectives in mind, work with advocacy, programs and communication focal points to determine the development and maintenance of a 12-month editorial calendar for digital communications
- Along with digital editorial, production and technical teams, identify types of creative content across all digital platforms to build awareness and engagement and achieve strategic priorities
- Build organisational capacity of digital communications at all levels through knowledge sharing
Community and Partnerships:
- Seek platforms, opportunities and partnerships to promote APTN and its priorities and to increase its online fundraising presence
- Consult with Communities, Focal Points and Regional Partners organizations to support and provide best practices and tools
- Identify and develop a framework for distribution of digital content and assets to achieve communication and fundraising objectives
- Ensure that the framework contributes to the healthy functioning of APTN’s online and offline communications ecosystem
- Develop templates for the communications and outreach materials like statements, press briefings etc. for specific audiences and other stakeholders (including Institutions, Governments, inter-agencies, policymakers, and the public)
- PPT trainings (both virtual and in-person) and assets to teach skills, impart knowledge and inform on guidelines for effective digital communications especially through social media
- Templates for the communications and outreach materials like statements, press briefings etc. for specific audiences and other stakeholders (including Institutions, Governments, inter-agencies, policymakers, and the public)
- Database of digital fundraising platform
- Report on the strategic communication and advocacy goals for reach and engagement through online and social media
- Communications framework + fundraising
- Terms of reference for key positions for the communication team (Communications Campaign Manager and Communications Coordinator)
Provisions of monitoring and progress updates:
The Communications Manager will directly report to the Executive Director under minimal supervision.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Masters degree with 6-10 years of experience working in strategic communications or related field, or Bachelors degree with 6-10 years of experience in strategic communications or related field.
- 5+ years branding and copywriting experience.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- A proven track record of crafting, pitching, and executing engaging communication campaigns for fundraising
- Ability to clearly articulate ideas while remaining open to new opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to operate both strategically and tactically.
- Fundraising, Advertising/Brand, Branded Content, or Editorial writing experience, with a portfolio to share.
- Mix of editorial and brand/agency experience is a plus.
How to Apply?
Please send a plan of execution with timeline, CV and Portfolio to email@example.com with subject title: “Application: Communications Manager”.
APTN is an Equal Opportunities Employer. APTN adheres to a fair recruitment process, regardless of any individual or group characteristics, including gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sex characteristics, race, age, disability, ability, economic status, national origin, religion, ethnicity, and historical, cultural and geographic experiences.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex persons, transgender and gender non-binary persons, and persons from the Global South are especially encouraged to apply. Only qualified candidates will be notified.